Systemic violence and institutionalized prejudices don’t victimize people in neat little boxes, such as “race” or “sex”.
Highlighted in ELK’s most popular post HERE, Kimberlé Crenshaw identified how we cannot rely on a single category of a lived experience (e.g., being queer, or being chronically ill) to explain something as complicated as oppression.
Any attempt to challenge oppression – through community organizing or personal daily battles – requires solutions that cross boundaries, defy labels and overlap in beautiful, messy ways.
That being understood, ELK has organized this website by keyword topics to make content more accessible. Some resources will appear on multiple pages because it is relevant to both by discussing multiple subjects.
SEXUAL POLITICS OF MEAT
AND THE ABSENT REFERENT
Carol J. Adams
FEMINIST NATIVES DO EAT TOFU
VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
AND ANIMAL RIGHTS
AND BABY FOOD POLITICS
WHY FEMINISTS OUGHT TO BE VEGAN
AND VEGANS OUGHT TO BE FEMINISTS
PERSPECTIVE ON OPPRESSIONS FROM A MUSLIM VEGAN FEMINIST
AND RADICAL SOBRIETY
ANIMALS, CHILDREN’S BOOKS AND SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION OF GENDER
VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN & ANIMALS
AND TOXIC [TRANS] MASCULINITY
A WHITE VEGAN FEMINIST
PETA & THE TROPE OF ACTIVISM
ANIMAL-INCLUSIVE CULTURE OF CONSENT
Feminism and Patriarchy
- Their Bodies, Our Selves: Moving Beyond Sexism and Speciesism
- Carol J. Adams
I am blogging about life as I see it as a feminist-vegan. This includes critiquing images that proliferate in our culture that depict (still) the sexual politics of meat, providing great vegan recipes, reflecting on caregiving, and, when the spirit moves, celebrating all things Jane Austen!
- Guerrilla Feminism
An intersectional feminist collective, which aims to create an online dialogue between various communities about women’s and gender issues.
- Anarcha Library
The Library is an Anarcha-Feminist and Gender Anarchy resource page as part of the larger anarcha.org project and is intended to provide you all with a source of important contemporary (and older) anarcha-feminist documents…
One of the oldest feminist blogs online designed by and run by women from the ground up
- Feminists for Animal Rights: An Ecofeminist Alliance
FAR sought to shine light on the connections between the treatment of women and animals under patriarchy. FAR also worked to raise consciousness about the links between social injustices and the degradation and destruction of nature and the earth.
- Let Patriarchy Burn!
- Marti Kheel Publications
- Dismantling the Patriarchy: Thriving as an Ecosystem
By Molly Tamulevich
- On Practicing Vulnerability
- Vancouver Status of Women (VSW)
A Feminist Working Group operating on Coast Salish Lands. VSW operates as a non-profit, feminist, community-based organization with a vision of freedom and self-determination for all through responsible, socially just, healthy and joyful communities both locally and globally. VSW organizes communities of women to develop strategies that address the wide variety of issues concerning women. VSW believes that women of diverse backgrounds working together can transform society. Diverse backgrounds include, but are not limited to: class, poverty, race, ethnicity, language, age, ability, sexual orientation, and gender expression.
- Vegan Feminist Agitator
- Tofu Goddess
Emily, 17. cis, she/her pronouns. high carb ethical vegan, feminist, green living enthusiast, pagan, bisexual.
- vegan feminista
This page is devoted to exposing the links between sexism and speciesism. It will also challenge non-vegan feminists on their speciesism, and sexist vegans on their sexism. We seek to create a movement that will end all injustice and oppression, and create peace.
Musings from a feminist vegan rabble-rouser.
- 30+ Examples of Male Privilege
- The Task Force on Gender and Cultural Change
Gathers resource materials dealing with violence against women and animals.
- Animals and Society Institute
Think tank that supports practice to address the relationship between animal cruelty and other violence and promotes action to protect animals through the adoption of ethical, compassionate public policy.
- Thinking Like a Chicken: Farm Animals And The Feminine Connection
By Karen Davis
Queer and Trans* Lib
- Coming Out for Animal Rights: LGBTQ Animal Advocates Make the Connection
By Jasmin Singer
- Fat Gay Vegan
I carry a bit of extra weight, I am into guys and I enjoy cruelty-free food and drink. Join this Fat Gay Vegan on a journey of eating and drinking around the United Kingdom (and occasionally further afield) as I chronicle my plant-based adventures.
- Queering Animal Liberation
An anthology in progress
- Queer Vegan
All about being queer and vegan (funnily enough) in a non-vegan, hetero-normative world. I cover topics from food, recipes and healthy eating, to sticking your fingers up at the gender binary and dealing with living without gender. The way I see it, life is too short to live inside a box created for us by societies norms. Screw them and let’s live queer!
- Queering the Politics of Animal Rights with VINE Sanctuary
- 10 seriously easy things cis people can do
- Shaking Things Up: Queer Rights / Animal Rights
Mirha-Soleil Ross is many things: transsexual videomaker, performance artist, prostitute and long-time activist for prostitute and sex workers’ rights, and advocate for queer rights and animal rights.
- Those Queer Animals: Queer Liberation and Fat-Positive Veganism
- 30+ Examples of Heterosexual Privilege in the US
- Trans and/or Women’s Action Camp (TWAC)
TWAC is an action camp for folks who identify as female, transgender, transsexual, gender queer and gender variant. This is an intentional space to share campaign information and direct action skills in a conscientious, supportive, empowering and encouraging environment for voices often marginalized. At then end of the camp, we take collective action on issues of importance.
An ecofeminist, LGBTQ-run farmed animal sanctuary
- BEAGLES, PIT BULLS, GAY PEOPLE, FLAMINGOES: A CHANCE TO BE WHO THEY WERE BORN TO BE
By Jasmin Singer
- Queer Zine Archive Project
- Queer Vegan Cunt
Vegan · Feminist · Queer · Kelsey
- Respect All Animals
20. Vegan. Rat mom. Cis woman. Pansexual. Introvert. Intersectional feminist. Engaged. RHCP/Beatles/Lorde fan. Mexican and Filipino. Lover of the sun.
- Transgender Gender Variant Intersex Justice Project
TGI Justice Project is a group of transgender people—inside and outside of prison—creating a united family in the struggle for survival and freedom. We work in collaboration with others to forge a culture of resistance and resilience to strengthen us for the fight against imprisonment, police violence, racism, poverty, and societal pressures. We seek to create a world rooted in self determination, freedom of expression, and gender justice.
- Survivor Project
A non-profit organization dedicated to addressing the needs of intersex and trans survivors of domestic and sexual violence through caring action, education and expanding access to resources and to opportunities for action.
- 30+ Examples of Cisgender Privilege
Privilege, Allyship & Anti-oppressive organizing
- Allyship & Solidarity Guidelines
Interview with Harsha Walia
- Anti-Oppression Facilitation Guide, Resource Zine, Spring, 2014
ANTI-OPPRESSION RESOURCE AND TRAINING ALLIANCE (AORTA)
- 4 Ways to Push Back Against Your Privilege
By Mia McKenzie
- Calling IN: A Less Disposable Way of Holding Each Other Accountable
By Ngọc Loan Trần
- HeteroPatriarchy and the Three Pillars of White Supremacy: Rethinking Women of Color Organizing
By Andrea Smith
- SO YOU WANT TO BE AN ALLY! A zine on anti-oppression, allyship, and being a less shitty person
- Ally Bill of Responsibilities
By Dr. Lynn Gehl, Algonquin Anishinaabe-kwe
- Accomplices Not Allies: Abolishing the Ally-Industrial Complex
- The Anti Oppression Network
A community collective dedicated to helping individuals, community collectives, groups, non profit organizations and society as a whole re-evaluate, unlearn, relearn, and understand, in a deep and meaningful way, the importance of decolonization and anti-oppression principles and policy. We are interested in building self-capacity in order to fully support and utilize privileges in the best interest of marginalized beings and mother earth.
- ANTI-OPPRESSION RESOURCE AND TRAINING ALLIANCE (AORTA)
AORTA is a collective of educators devoted to strengthening movements for social justice and a solidarity economy. AORTA works as consultants and facilitators to expand the capacity of cooperative, collective, and community-based projects through education, training, and planning. AORTA bases trainings on an intersectional approach to liberation because we believe that true change requires uprooting all systems of oppression.
- No More “Allies”
By Mia McKenzie
- So You Call Yourself an Ally: 10 Things All ‘Allies’ Need to Know
By Jamie Utt
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Being a Good Ally
An active, consistent, and arduous practice of unlearning and re-evaluating, in which a person of privilege seeks to operate in solidarity with a marginalized group of people
- RECON 2013: BUILDING AN INTER-GENERATIONAL MOVEMENT
- Seeds for Change
We’re a network of independent activist training co-ops providing training and workshops on group and campaign skills. We support people who want to make our world a better and more sustainable place.
- Training for Change
Reliable training tools (or activities/exercises), based on our direct education approach, rooted in popular education.
- Center for Story-based Strategy (CSS)
A national movement-building organization dedicated to harnessing the power of narrative for social change.
- People’s Commission Facilitator’s Manual
The facilitator’s manual was developed as a guide for leading discussions and classes on immigration security measures, racism, and exclusion.